More resources will be made available soon
What does forgiveness and reconciliation mean to you?
Please send your child’s response back to us by email by Sunday, May 3rd.
Please watch session 3 video 4 “The Cross, Resurrection, and Ascension” and video 5 “From the Bible: Pentecost”. Please have your child respond to this question: How do you think Jesus’ disciples felt when they saw that Jesus had risen from the dead? Please send your child’s response to us by email if you have not yet done so.
Examination of Conscience:
Steps to making your 1st confession:
- The confessional at our Parish is the library. There is a screen and a chair if your child prefers not to be seen, and there is a chair in front of Father Jim where your child may sit as well. As it is their first confession, we recommend that your child sit in front of Father Jim. There are many reasons for this and to name a few; they will get to know Father Jim better by being able to see him, Father Jim will be able to see their faces and see if they are in need of help, and it shows that there is nothing to be ashamed of or fear.
- Tell them that Father Jim represents our Lord Jesus Christ who loves, forgives, and provides endless mercy to them as long as they ask for it and are truly sorry.
- Tell them how important this Sacrament is, to be as honest as possible, and to be truly sorry for all their sins.
- Steps to confession:
- 1.) After sitting down your child will make the sign of the Cross and say “Bless me Father for I have sinned, this is my first confession.”
- 2.) Your child will confess their sins and finish by saying “I am sorry for these and all my sins.”
- 3.) Father Jim will give them a penance. Tell them a penance is something we do after confession to show how sorry we are for hurting God.
- 4.) Your child will then read the Act of Contrition. They will have a copy of this prayer in the confessional to read, but it is important to read and practice it as it is long and some of the words maybe tricky for them.
- 5.) Father Jim will give them Absolution.
- 6.) Your child will make the sign of the Cross.
- Your child will go into the church and do their penance.
Act of Contrition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMmHbU-T_Hc video about confession
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQTcUAWzF_U Brother Francis video about confession
https://www.growingupcatholic.com/teaching-your-child-to-pray.html website about prayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMgWbg1Xs8 video about Lent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL8R158Ujp4 video about Easter
http://www.mycatholicsource.com/mcs/catholic_fun_and_activities.htm printable crossword puzzles, coloring pages, word searches, and mazes
http://catholicmom.com/kids/catholic-gospel-coloring-worksheets-sunday-mass/ worksheets to pair with Sunday Mass